City of Janesville Case Study
Proposed Civic Brand Identity Refresh: Truth in Tradition
Janesville has been heading in a more progressive direction over the last few years. With a new focus on the development of the downtown area, the new mural installations showcasing Janesville’s deep rooted history, and the notion of a community on the rise, the topic of progression remains a constant.
The idea of change can be a touchy one. When it comes to the challenge of developing a refreshed brand identity for an entire city, the first question that usually presents itself is why fix what has been in place for so long? Secondly, how do we get an entire community and city council to welcome the idea of change?
In order to make real meaningful change happen, it starts with listening and learning. Listening to the voices and stories of the people in the Janesville community and learning what makes the city special to them.
This civic brand identity refresh aligns Janesville’s rich history with the present day values to craft a future that focuses on community, culture, progression, and adventure among other things- all while embracing Janesville’s traditions.
• Preserve the historical character of Janesville through positive change
• We conveyed the original four wards of Janesville with four rows of tree branches
• We showcased the letter J to represent Janesville
• We display an up arrow to hint at the rise of the Janesville community
• We highlight Janesville’s history with a Tallman House pine tree
• We use this tree to symbolize Janesville as Wisconsin’s Park Place